- Customer: – Microsoft Corp.
- Industry Sector: Rural Empowerment
- Business Situation – Saksham
- Saksham was a project initiated by Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates for Rural empowerment of India. The basic objective of this project is to bring the government closer to the common man and making them more accountable.
- As the name itself suggests that “Saksham” means capability building. The purpose of this project is to design an information portal in the regional languages to empower village level users with information that can make their life better.
- This information portal is to be designed by keeping district as the key information provider and this information is to be distributed to all its towns and villages.
Saksham: Citizen Services at the root level
- Solution : PCI designed and deployed the project in different regional languages and MOSS was used as a tool for this. Other that standard MOSS capabilities many custom webparts were designed for these. Major component of the system were : Pathshala: a portal for e-learning | Sarkar: portal for district governance | Jaago: portal on people who are catalyst of change | Rojgar: job portal | Shaadi Sambandh: matrimonial portal | Krishi: portal on agriculture and needs of farmers |Daak: email services for village users | Tijori: a virtual safe for villagers to keep their documents in electronic format | Swasthya: a health portal | Sitare: a portal on astrology | Bazzar: a portal where the users can buy or sell.
- Achievements: Running the system at the grassroot level without adequate infrastructure, its architecture and simplicity of design for a first-time computer user.